A Quick Guide To Turpenton

It was never meant to be so omnipresent.

This place called Turpenton.

It was just a name for a place that I thought up because I needed to think up a name for a place in an early draft of Last Night At The Stairways. And I got so attached to it, I never thought of a better place name. So the name stuck, and I'm stuck with the name.

I mean, Stairways is loosely based on a couple of old night clubs in my hometown of Croydon, south London. But I didn't want to namecheck Croydon in my fiction, mainly to protect the innocent and prevent an unmanageable influx of tourists to the area. 

And Turpenton was the first made up name I could think of that sounded like a place without actually being a place.

But it wasn't meant to stick, and Turpenton East station certainly wasn't meant to crop up in The Wronged. And Turpenton General certainly wasn't meant to be the setting for A Dead Chick And Some Dirty Tricks.

But before you get to thinking he's gone Turpenton crazy, fear not. My next novel, the second to feature Jake 'will he/won't he start smoking again' Rodwell isn't going to be based anywhere near Turpenton.

I don't think.

No comments:

Post a Comment