BOOK REVIEW: The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo – Stieg Larsson (Translated from Swedish to English by Steven T. Murray)




I’ve always shied away from translated novels. I mean, how do I know the translator has effectively captured the emotion and style and intention and nuance of the originator’s manuscript?

But putting all that bullcrap to one side, this was a pleasurable read, its natural flow leading to me devouring 500+ pages in a couple of weeks – amazing when you consider the previous (shorter) novel I read took me over 2 years to finish (on and off – mainly off).

I picked up the paperback tome for £2 from that sad place all novels end up - on the discount shelves. Had heard of it, of course. It’s been made into a film I haven’t seen. The author died before it was published etc.

For my taste, a little too detailed in places. I could see the author’s research notes literally transferred word for (translated) word to the page. But that’s a minor gripe.

Another, the title. Originally “Men Who Hate Women” in Swedish. Which sounds like the title to a thesis, not a novel. But the English translated title is a little misleading. As it’s not really about said decorated female – although she does feature prominently.

And an immense amount of coffee is consumed during this story, by literally everyone. Pots of it getting boiled and downed at all times of day and night.


But the main character, despite his loose relationships with women and his desertion of his daughter, is likable enough. You want him to succeed, to take down the faceless bad boy tycoon. I just hope the story I read is as close to the story Stieg Larsson intended people to read. We will never know.

****

No comments:

Post a Comment